View Single Post

Old 06-10-2021, 05:51 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,068 Times in 435 Posts
Default Winchester M-1 Arrived

Well my Winchester M-1 Carbine arrived as promised from Midway today, and so far I am VERY happy. Far from perfect, it looks like a weapon that was used, which is exactly what I had hoped for.

I haven’t cleaned it yet, and it is greasy, IMHO grease from lots of handling, especially around the hand guard. The initials AS are carved on the right side of the stock, the A right over what appears to be a well worn crossed cannons stamp. So far, I’m sure it’s an early build by the serial number (11530XX), which was from the Winchester serial number block used from 9/42 to 2/44. Further evidence of an early build by the early 2 hole top hand guard and the Type 1 barrel band. Also stamped inside the sling well (oval type), but I can’t read it, maybe someone here will recognize the stamp, or maybe clearer after it’s cleaned.

The stock, barrel, receiver, rear sight, hammer, and slide are all marked as Winchester, a further strip down will tell about the rest of the parts. The safety is a later type so may have been changed.

Very happy guy today with what so far looks like an early, battle worn, and so far all original Winchester M-1.
SWCA #3370 - SWHF #672
The Following 11 Users Like Post: