View Single Post

Old 07-24-2021, 06:33 PM

Liked 9,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

If that doesn't look like what a piece is supposed to look like if done by Louis Daniel Nimschke,,then I don't what does.

Any 'LDN' initials anywhere on it?
Sometimes a simple 'N' was used somewhere on the piece.
At times the signiture hidden a bit in the pattern. Other times rather plain to see.
..and some he did not mark at all.

He liked to sign most all of his work as he was a freelanse engraver and highly promoted himself.
Revolvers quite often marked on the bottom of the frame ahead of the trigger guard.
He did do some work for the Remington factory.

Probably one of the best known or the 19th century US Gun Engravers. His style of scroll is often called 'New York Style Scroll' and was cut by many gun engravers of the day.
He took it to a different level and as a result has earned the name Nimschke Style Scroll.
Of course that brought along many other engravers copying his uptown style. That always happens,, even now.

A great deal of his work he got from Schuyler, Hartley & Graham. But he still remained a freelanse engraver and took in jobs from other sources including the gun mfg'rs and private individuals.

He was a prolific engraver and many unmarked pieces have been 'attributed to' him. That's going pretty far out on the limb as they say in many instances as copy cats were around then as now.
The same issue exists for engraving work done by Kornbrath and others from the 20th century. There is big money/value involved if a stamp of authenticity can be applied.

Beautiful revolver and engraving! Congrats!!

I have a copy of his pattern book.
I'll look thru it and see if maybe this pattern pull is in there. I don't recall an 1875 Rem being in there but it's been a long time since I browsed thru it. Worth a look.

Added...
I looked thru LDN pattern book, but no 1875 patterns in there. A few small frame Remington revolvers and Derringers.
Most Remingtons in there are Rolling Block pistols, rifles and Hepburns.

If factory records indicate 'Shipped 'soft' to S,H & Graham', it's a good bet that it was done for engraving.
LDN took in a lot of work from SH&G but was not on their payroll as an employee/engraver. They did have other engravers employed in house as well as others they farmed work out to.
LDN they generally used for special projects as his prices were way above the average asked for the same work of the day from other engravers.
But he didn't care,,take it or leave it. The quality was there.

Last edited by 2152hq; 07-26-2021 at 03:56 PM. Reason: added
The Following 4 Users Like Post: