Thread: 640 .38 ?
View Single Post

Old 07-31-2021, 12:05 PM

Liked 217 Times in 112 Posts

10-04 on that 'CH4' !! As I was compiling the above Post, I thought about mentioning the old Model 296, & noting just how close I came to buying one back when they were initially introduced. But, if you recall that back then, although it really wasn't that long ago, very few 'real' .44 Special defensive Factory Loads were available on the market. Also, IIRC, S&W had stipulated that only 200 grains or under were suitable for use in it. [ As so marked on the right hand barrel flat. ] So due to it's 'restrictions', along with the fact that the .44 Special doesn't exhibit an overabundance of velocity in it's Factory Loadings. Another subsequent issue plus the fact of being regulated to the 200 grain projectiles, I became concerned as to how their 'Fixed Sights' were Factory regulated, or sighted in. Back then, the Standard .44 Special Loading was something like an 246 grain LRN at around 750 +/- FPS via a 6" barrel. So, had S&W regulated their new M-296 for a 200 grain head, or simply stuck with the standard, 246 LRN ? All in all there was much to like, in addition to great promise for the 296 Models, but when I began factoring in the size & capacity data, as opposed to my Alloy Colt Commander .45 ACP, I just couldn't justify buying yet another gun I honestly didn't need ! Right now though, I truly wish I had grabbed one !! And lastly, S&W really should have produced it with the 3" barrel, as I feel it may have sold somewhat better than it did ?

Best, dpast32