View Single Post

Old 08-04-2021, 06:03 PM

Liked 10,653 Times in 3,001 Posts

Not again! After four years this problem is still cropping up in new S&Ws. Your photos are depressing. Here's what I had to say in 2017 in Post #20, above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsig View Post
I don't understand what's happening at S&W. I have a 2 1/2 year-old 40c, a 2 year-old Shield 9, and 6 month-old Shield .45, and all of them came with perfectly finished unmarked barrels. If the current crop of Shield 9 barrels all look like yours, S&W needs to go back to what they were doing in the past to prevent wear marks during test firing. Would it seriously erode their profits to properly lubricate the barrels beforehand? No. What will seriously erode their profits will be permanently turning off customers by selling them beaten-up looking new guns.
The good news is that these blemishes are unlikely to affect performance, but it is understandable why you'd be upset when you opened up your new M&P and found what you did. Fuss (politely, of course) at customer service again if you have any performance problems with that barrel. You have nothing to lose. By way of comparison, the photo below is the barrel from my M&P 40c after 13,000 rounds.

New M&P shield barell looks worn-img_0067-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0067.jpg (91.7 KB, 103 views)