View Single Post

Old 08-16-2021, 04:18 PM

Liked 2,080 Times in 388 Posts

I started my subscription to Outdoor Life in 1963 and it's hard to fully communicate how I looked forward to receiving a new issue every month. The first article I'd read was whatever Jack O'Connor was spouting. Sometimes more interesting than other times but always informative; the only sheep hunting I ever did was vicariously through Jack's exploits. He had a way of transporting you to the hunt be it with the Shah of Iran or a Mexican guide in South Sonora. I lapped it all up with a big spoon and never owned a .270 or a 7mm as a result and never shot an African antelope "from behind so clean it didn't leave a hole." That story still makes me laugh today.

It was obvious from Jack's writing that he did not suffer fools easily, didn't come across as Mr. Warmth, and could be quite opinionated. I liked that about him as he seemed to call them like he saw them. When Jim Carmichael took over for Jack I was disappointed and missed him. Jim is a very fine writer and authority in his own right but he just wasn't Jack and I didn't "grow-up" with him. I've collected Jack's books and reread portions of them from time to time - still find them very enjoyable.
SWHF #789
The Following User Likes This Post: