View Single Post

Old 08-29-2021, 04:40 AM
US Veteran

Liked 29 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
I have done a lot of reading on Ronald Speirs and I have yet to find a single first-person account of him murdering any German soldiers. I have not come across a single account where the person claims to be an eyewitness who saw him shoot.

The massacre at Malmedy would have had ZERO bearing on what Spiers may or may not have done the day after D-Day.

As for Sobel, when he died no one attended his funeral. If I understand what I read the nursing home that he was in didn't even notify his family that he had died.

In the book Band of Brothers EVERY single person they interviewed said that Sobel was a.jerk but they SPECIFICALLY credited his strict training regimen with making them the soldiers that they were.

Also his children all say that Sobel (for his age) was in excellent physical condition. He LEAD the runs up and down Curahee.

He also DID make the combat jump on D-Day, just with HHC not Easy.

After WWII he was recalled to active duty (as was Winters) for Korea and retired as a Lieutenant Colonel.

After the war he went down hill mentally. He ended up in an assisted living facility. He tried to shoot himself and only succeeded in severing his optic nerve and blinding himself.
To the question whether Speirs actually murdered those German prisoners after offering them a cigarette, please take a look at this interview with Dick Winters in the early 2000s. He was specifically asked that question and his response is remarkable.