View Single Post

Old 09-04-2021, 07:11 PM

Liked 4,578 Times in 1,680 Posts
Default Pocket Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by iby View Post
The few examples I have show a patent date on the barrels ending @ 1877 ???
iby,
Very nice Pocket Army...I have a few in my collection also...Very heavy guns! I sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that grip knuckler!

I won't get into Patent study. It's boring for most. I will say that Hopkins & Allen was nothing like Smith & Wesson with Patent stamps. I'll leave it at that unless you want more info please PM me if you want the "LONG STORY"?

For the benefit of those who appreciate short posts? I will refer to the Carder book on Hopkins and Allen revolvers?

(Page 45) He states: Four Modifications were developed for the large frame M&H revolvers.
The first issue had scooped flutes and was devoid of the top strap.

Cylinder flutes on the second open top model has flutes extended to the end of the cylinder, a dead end pin was added to the barrel release and the trigger guard was enlarged.

IN 1883 THE 3 MODEL WAS STRENGTENED BY THE ADDITION OF A TOP-STRAP.

The fourth model has ribbed barrels with the front sight pinned to the barrel.

That about covers it.... The gun on the board is NOT a James Gang Gun. It's fake!

If I had my notes with me I could go on and on.

One thing that is common to "OLD FAKES"? They tend to be easy to figure out because the faker 100 years ago didn't have enough information to cover his/her tracks.....Today's information highway spots them easily if you do some research.

Murph

Last edited by BMur; 09-04-2021 at 07:19 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: