View Single Post

Old 09-06-2021, 10:02 AM

Liked 5,327 Times in 1,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4 View Post
This past weekend I attended a show in Vegas where I used a combination of, “What’s your best price?”, Will you take less?” or “Will you go_____?” I didn’t get one complaint nor seem to offend one seller. As a result I saved $375 on a NIB, 4” Colt Python and $350 on a NIB, CZ Checkmate Parrot.

I make these offers knowing what the approximate, current value for a particular piece is and betting the seller pads his/her price knowing they’ll likely be given offers of less than their asking prices. That said, some stand firm on their price and, if I want it bad enough, I’ll pay the asking price. Otherwise, I compliment them on their hardware and thank them before heading to the next table. Conversely, when I ask about a price, some sellers will state, “I have a little room, “Make me an offer, “If you want it, I can go______”, etc. I work and travel all over the world and experience the same or similar rules apply.
Exactly! It really is this straightforward. It's just a talk between seller and prospective buyer to settle on a price. Some folks manage to make it a hassle, though. At gun shows, flea markets, garage sales, car/truck dealers I anticipate some wheeling and dealing.

What did surprise me was learning that some major companies will bargain with you. Specifically, cable TV, my home alarm company and satellite radio. Complain about the price and you can easily get a price reduction. With satellite radio in particular, I set an annual calendar reminder to cancel my service. Sometimes it's more work to secure the discount, and I've carried through with cancelling a few times. Other times, they just give me the discount right away to get me off the phone.

Persistence can pay off with satellite radio. Cancel and you'll start getting discount emails begging you to come back. Generally, I get a discounted price of 1/3 the uncontested price. Granted we're talking maybe $10 / month, but it's the principle of the thing. They probably expect most people to pay up without complaint. Those that do complain, get a discount with the expectation they will forget on the next go-around. Those that remember - like me - get the cheaper price, but it doesn't cost much if anything to retain a subscriber.

Why do they do this? It's the $$ of course. This business practice helps the bottom line. Admittedly, it's a little irksome that seemingly firm, fixed-price services do this. Once you know, it can be used to your advantage. Pricing and selling non-essentials is always a two-way deal.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: