View Single Post

Old 09-24-2021, 12:33 AM
US Veteran

Liked 13,350 Times in 4,614 Posts

Quote:
"made before GCA68, so it was grandfathered" is nonsense. ATF does not care when it was made. ATF does not care what it was designed to do. If it will fire two or more shots with one pull of the trigger, it is a machine gun, and needs to have paperwork. If you do not have paperwork for the machine gun, you are in possession of contraband which will get you 10 years in club Fed with a $250,000 fine.
What Alpo said!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I believe that if the gun would actually fire full auto by holding the safety down - either by intentional design or buy a design flaw - ATF would be aware of it by now, and they would not allow them to be sold like any other gun. The fact that they apparently can be sold like any normal gun leaves me to believe that your internet research about them shooting full auto is incorrect.
I like agreeing with Alpo. We go back aways.

There is no way that ATF wouldn't know about this and if it's a design flaw or broken it probably needs immediate repair. Otherwise, see our first comment. Fully automatic firearms have not been legal for sale for many years without a $200 tax stamp. There is some weirdness with respect to pre- and post- 1987 full auto guns but I'd not rely on any of it. See below.

Quote:
If it fired both rounds, I would then suggest getting in touch with ATF and telling them that you had just come in possession of an unpapered machine gun, and what did they want you to do with it.
I disagree with Alpo here. This is a very sensitive area with ATF. If it fires 2 round bursts it will qualify as a machine gun so I would lock that in a case of some kind and take it to a class III dealer forthwith. Leave it with the Class III dealer but do not give him the key. Let the Class III FFL discuss the weapon with the ATF - his possession won't get him arrested; your possession could as noted above.

I know a Class III FFL dealer who recently went through a similar scenario and told me about it. He had the NFA gun but the owner had the key. In the end the ATF let him reverse engineer it to non-NFA status and return it to the owner. The fun part of that was he got to keep the "offending parts" for possible future, legal use. But that's what his Class III FFL permits or maybe his manufacturing class FFL, I forget the numbers because it ain't my deal. But everyone walked away legal and happy.