Thread: SPARE AMMO
View Single Post

Old 09-26-2021, 06:15 AM

Liked 4,632 Times in 1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoboGunLeather View Post
OK, but we still have to acknowledge that the guy stood and delivered 39 rounds while under fire himself, as well as the fact that he was under no obligation to expose himself to any part of that situation. The man stepped up and acted in the face of serious danger (perhaps the definition of courage).

Law enforcement engagements are different than military actions, and private citizens involved in shooting incidents are even more different. I recall that in Vietnam our forces expended thousands of rounds for every reported hostile casualty. The same is probably true of the more recent military conflicts.

After 24 years as a cop and two combat tours in Vietnam I am not ready to speak disparagingly of a civilian who willingly exposed himself and did his best under fire. The man tried 39 times while exposed and under fire. I suggest that this deserves respect.
Quite perplexing that a retired LE would make a statement like that about a civilian that stepped up and saved the life of a Deputy.

Neel, a Korean War Veteran, survivor of Heartbreak Ridge and FFL holder had just had open heart surgery. After a recuperation period, it was his first trip to the range. He had a trap shotgun and two CZ-75's.

The perps had shot Deputy Flores 4 times. He was down. Neel inserted himself between Flores and the bad guys and got the Deputy to safety. Many of his rounds fired were suppressive fire. Neel stated that every time he would stop the suppressive fire the perps would start shooting and attempt to advance on him and the deputy. Neel was down to his last mag when an off duty sheriff came on scene with a snub nose .38. After the second deputy showed up the perps fled the scene and were later apprehended.

In 1995 Neel testified in front of the Texas Senate as an advocate for the "right to carry law". Because of his testimony the Senate passed the right-to carry law. Travis Neel was not some keyboard commando "fantasizing" about a gun fight. He was a true hero. Quite a story and worth the read.

My Sig 938 has a 7 shot mag capacity. The mags are small and easily carried. One mag is carried in my Lobo inside waist band mag holder. The other in my pocket. At 21 rounds, some probably consider me as "packing light", but that is what works for me.
Klyde

Last edited by KLYDE; 09-26-2021 at 09:31 AM.