View Single Post

Old 10-16-2021, 04:51 PM

Liked 808 Times in 342 Posts

I'm resurrecting this thread after watching Buffman's video on this load. He got similar velocities, although his 16" carbine shot faster (a little under 1600 fps). Accurate for FMJ service ammunition and a bit snappy for 9mm.

Now, from the safety of my armchair (my military career was very boring), I'm going to offer my opinion (and it's just that). I think this combination of M1152 and M1153 (147 grain JHP) is actually well-thought out and may be the best U.S. service handgun ammunition choice I've seen. Leaving aside the politics, myths, and various international accords, I believe that for most military use, the FMJ is a better choice. This load seems to maximize what the 9mm Parabellum can do. It offers good penetration, good accuracy, seems pretty consistent across a wide variety of platforms, and honestly, I've yet to see any scientific data that other caliber's FMJ loads demonstrate significantly better stopping power. I notice that the bullets in the video's gel test remained nose forward and all penetrated within a few inches of each other (for what ever that's worth. This is not an armor-piercing round, though. I think that really requires a different caliber. For other special applications, the M1153 load is available.

I hope we'll see more tests of this load. I do think however that the military thought this through and got exactly what they wanted.

The Following User Likes This Post: