Thread: Memories
View Single Post

Old 10-26-2021, 02:23 PM

Liked 7,121 Times in 3,021 Posts

Oh yes...paper shell days. Bought my first shotgun with money I made crabbing(caught a lot of crabs and snapping turtles that summer) on the Chester River in Md...and
working on farms in the afternoons. Browning A5 with IC and Full VR barrels. And a case of Peters paper trap loads. Don't remember the actual retail price on the shells but I paid 21 bucks for them(1959). I think the owner of that old shop gave ne a discount for spending all that money. And I bought a Mec 250 loader to reload at the same time. A learning experience for certain. Nothing smells quite like paper shells. I also remember loading paper shotshells and had to iron the shells with a shell ironer that you would put wax on to make the crimps stay down. I bought my 1st handgun the same year. Klein's Sporting Goods... a real US of A 1911 45 auto for something a bit north of 25 bucks. Being dislexic at order time I said I was 21 instead of 12...y'all know how numbers get mixed up when you're a young'un. I musta waited almost 3 weeks for that thing till it came in the mail. A fellow that worked at Aberdeen Proving ground GAVE me a bunch of ammo. My mother found it in my closet and only let me have it if I was going shooting alone...no other kids. Ahhh the world WAS a different place then
The Following 2 Users Like Post: