View Single Post

Old 11-19-2021, 07:06 PM

Liked 755 Times in 147 Posts
Default N J Rabensburg's Home in Austin Survives But at Another Location

Yes, N J Rabensburg's home in Austin located at 1903 N Lamar was cut up and moved in a one story format to a neighborhood, which is immediately south of Town Lake (Lady Bird Johnson). I actually tried to find it about 20 years ago but with no luck.

My grandmother Lillian moved to a smaller but similar house on West 29th between N Lamar and Jefferson. Darrell Royal was her neighbor about one or two blocks to the north and could be seen walking on occasions.

The hill, which had been their home lot at 1903 N Lamar has since been pulverized and replaced at street level with office buildings. The hill was nice but steep for a car to climb especially with the horsepower during the 1950s.

Fortunately, my parents drove Cadillacs, but the ascent was still a roaring, full throttle exercise in order to make the driveway landing in front of the garage door. Everything was way up there, and we were gasping for air when we finally arrived.

German heritage people like to be on the top of the hill. Its a defensive thing. The view of Pease Park and the edges of Shoal Creek with its forest of trees and a rising hill beyond, offered a pleasing setting. N Lamar below did add street noise, however, some of that got deflected toward the park.

Nights were great there with low level lighting shining across the hills of Austin using "Moon" lights, which were arranged in the form of a Texas star. These giant tall steel towers of lights were brought to Austin from one of the World's Fairs decades earlier when electricity was a new form of energy.

Submitted by A Neale Rabensburg

Last edited by arabensburg; 11-22-2021 at 02:31 PM.
The Following 12 Users Like Post: