View Single Post

Old 11-28-2021, 06:50 PM
US Veteran

Liked 21,406 Times in 6,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChief52 View Post
A nice thing about those old time single shot 22s is that a box of 50 rounds would last a whole afternoon of shooting cans out behind the barn. Mine was a Remington rolling block. I forget the model number but I do know it was "improved" . It said so right on the receiver.
My Grandfather gave me a Savage Model 7. When he showed me how to operate it he showed me as a single shot. The bolt has a knob in it and if you pull it out and slide the bolt back and let it go home it chambers a round, he then told me to push the knob back in. This way the rifle operated as a single shot. I was shooting with a cousin and operating the rifle as instructed. Then I forgot to push the knob back in. When I fired the bolt cycled, I wondered what was that. When I pulled the bolt back out popped a live round. I tried it again and again the bolt cycled. So then I was off to the races, burning up ammo. My Grandfather came back out of the house and looked at me and said "I hear you have figured out it is an automatic" and went back into the house. My cousin and I burnt up a brick that afternoon. That night we scrounged up about $11.00 and the next morning went to the General Store and bought .22 LR at $0.45 a box (24 boxes) and shot those up too! It resides in my safe, but I have given it to my oldest Grandson.