View Single Post

Old 12-02-2021, 10:10 AM

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
Jack,

Define “Target shooting”? Are you talking tin cans and paper plates? Or are you talking competitive Bullseye competitions? It makes a huge difference.
I certainly am learning about lots of accumulated knowledge from this thread. I am glad I asked for the experiences of others before making my decisions and potentially jumping the gun (pun intended).

I am most interested in paper bullseye shooting using an NRA-type scoring target. I guess that would point to competition shooting, rather than plinking. I zero all my adjustable sight guns at the 6-o'clock position as best I can from rest, then off-hand. I adjust the aim points accordingly for the non-adjustable models such as the Model 10. I particularly enjoy shooting my Model 52 using the 2.7 Bullseye load under the Lee 148 TL wadcutter.

I would most likely select the same diameter bullet(s) available from one of the recognized commercial dealers such as Berry and Missouri. I will probably purchase a Lee mold(s) in 200, 250 or 255 grains to match that specification, rather than worrying about one of the "loose" Model 25's performing best using .454 or > diameters requiring lots of workup time. My gun club is an 80-mile round trip to make new reloads for workup testing. My initial workups would most likely use "pet" loads obtained from this forum as a startiing point.

I was not aware of the diameter differential until I started to get responses to my query. I've also learned the more classic pinned 6" Model 25's go for perhaps double the asking/selling prices using GB as a reference versus the 6-1/2" models - strange, but I am sure there is a collectable-related reasoning behind this - perhaps the attention to finish? None of my weapons are safe queens - I like to shoot 'em all!

I primarily prefer and seek out S&W firearms in new or near-new condition for my collection, but I do have some Rugers and Colts. To date, no 45 LC's in my collection. Selecting the 452 diameter bullet(s) would allow standardization with flexibility to use all ammunition - reloaded and factory ammo - in other (future) 45 LC pistols possibly from different manufacturers.

I decided it was best to settle the ammo reloading questions simultaneously while searching for the needed 550 dies, brass and best powder selections (another story, I am learning) in and during this time of limited availabilty and order waiting time for just about everything related to our hobby.

By the way, Powder Valley just received a 45 LC brass shipment after waiting since March from Starline - I was lucky and ordered 200 rounds last night. I had been checking twice daily for 4 weeks before making the unexpected hit. Fortunately, I have a stash of CCI LPP's obtained during the Clinton years' shortages, along with several lbs. of Unique. All I need are the bullets and caliber conversion kit to get moving, not including the Model 25.

I appreciate all the reponses from forum members. If there is anything else pertinent to my acquisition I should know about - firearm or reloading related, please pass it along for everyone's benefit. This certainly is an efficient way to "go to school" before making a significant purchase while using the best, and most complete information available to us.

Jack

Last edited by oldvette; 12-02-2021 at 10:16 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: