View Single Post

Old 12-12-2021, 10:47 AM
US Veteran

Liked 6,888 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfors View Post
I like the concept of an "understudy", a smaller caliber gun, that mimics the frame size, weight and feel of a larger caliber gun, while using less expensive ammo, and offering reduced recoil, so a guy can practice, without breaking the bank.
K-Frame .22's are wonderful, because they are cheap to shoot, and handle like K/L-Frame .357's.

What have you guys got, that you'd consider an understudy to another gun, in your collection?
In the strictest sense of your criteria (cheaper to shoot/less recoil) my M48-4 could be the understudy to all my other revolvers, but I could use the rest of the criteria (smaller caliber, frame and weight similar) to say that most of my revolvers are understudies to the ones just above them. For instance, my .41M's understudy my .44M. The .357's understudy the .41's, and I can shoot .38Spl's for less recoil than the .357's. Expense of shooting is about the same for me, I reload and have plenty of materials for the centerfire guns, and .22 Magnum prices make the M48 about as expensive to shoot as my reloads.

Same goes for my 1911's. My .45 is less recoil than the 10mm, and I have 9mm that is less than the .45, and I have a Ruger 22/45 that is less than all of them.

Last edited by Hair Trigger; 12-12-2021 at 10:51 AM.