View Single Post

Old 12-15-2021, 10:33 AM
US Veteran

Liked 20,447 Times in 4,648 Posts

No cartoon this AM, but a true story. Hauling an ARVN Bn on a training mission after lunch. The smell of nouc mam was gut wrenching but that wasn't the worst of it. After the first lift my Old Golds and zippo were gone plus two qts. of turbine engine oil and a qt of hydraulic oil from the cubby holes between the cockpit and cabin doors. My crew were ready for a fight and the gunner armed himself with the biggest screw driver I've ever seen. On the second lift the pilfering continued but there wasn't anything left to steal. Two perps did get their GI helmets whacked when their hands went into the holes. On the third lift my CE (Crew Chief) said he had an idea. To back up a little, the ARVNs were told to wait until the ship was on the ground before deplaning, but they all thought they were John Wayne and would jump out at about 4 ft. Any way, while enroute to the LZ my CE tied the boot laces together on two guys closest to the door and I (intentionally) held us at a 5 ft hover. We all had a great laugh while we waved good bye to the pile up.

Minutes later C&C call me to say he was supposed to reprimand me. I keyed up the mike and said "Roger, concider me reprimanded."
The Following 7 Users Like Post: