Thread: CSX First Look
View Single Post

Old 01-09-2022, 07:36 PM
US Veteran

Liked 724 Times in 291 Posts
Default CSX First Look

Been away from the forum for a while due to occupying most of my range time with my Springfield EMP Concealed Carry Contour model because I decided I preferred the 1911 style semi-autos. When I read about the CSX being released, after owning the CS9 for the past couple of decades I just could not resist the latest S&W Chief Special model especially since it changed to a 1911 style manual of arms.

I have not been to the range yet, just got it yesterday, but after a takedown for initial cleaning and dry firing, these are the things I do like about the new CSX.

1. The workmanship is first rate, outside and inside. Very nice finish on it, way nicer than my CS9 looked when new.
2. The slide is easier to cycle than other comparable size semi-autos I have handled, including my 9mm Shield PC. This is important to me.
3. The replaceable different size back strap is easy to change with the little tool provided.
4. Take down for cleaning is easier, at least for me, than on other comparable size pistols I have had, not sure why, probably becase it is easier to hold the slide back a quarter inch or so while I push the pin out.
5. And typical for S&W products, the more you operate and dry fire the smoother the trigger pull was
6. I just like metal frames a little better than polymer, a personal preference thing.
7. I like having ambidextrous controls, slide release and safety. While I am right handed, I like to practice at the range with off hand.
8. The mag release has a little bit of stippling on it which I find helpful.
9. The manual safety has a very positive click on and off, you can be very certain which position you have moved it to.
10. The 12 + 1 capacity is great for the size pistol. Having the 10 round mag available can come in handy if/when traveling through a state with that 10 round mag capacity restriction.
11. It has a half cock notch, I know, some will say maybe bad, but I think there might be a time when it could possibly be helpful.

Just my $ .02, hope the info is helpful.