View Single Post

Old 01-20-2022, 02:39 AM

Liked 2,534 Times in 860 Posts

.38 Super at the speeds that Buffalo Bore or Underwood load it are actually within SAAMI (36,500) for that round. It's below where we USPSA guys like .38SuperMan and I used to drive ours to make Major. That was definitely beyond SAAMI, but worked fine with the fully supported barrels.

To get those kind of speeds out of a 9mm, you've got to push the pressures really high, well beyond SAAMI (35,000). I think it's crazy what they're doing now with 9mm Major. When I was shooting USPSA, it was not allowed to try to make Major with a 9mm because the pressures are dangerous. I don't know what's changed between then and now to make it ok. SAAMI for 9mm+P is 38,500, and most of the factory +P loadings come in at under 1200 fps except Cor Bon.

As to the Buffalo Bore round, I would like to see some ballistics gel testing of it before adopting it. My concern is that the bullet they use is the Sierra JHP. Based on testing I've seen on YouTube, that bullet doesn't expand much, at least in the Sierra loadings. There's one video testing Cor-Bon's 9mm supposedly loaded with the Sierra bullet where it does expand at 1200fps+, so the Buffalo Bore at 1350 is probably fine. I'll probably order some of the Cor Bon .38 Super 125gr JHP.

Last edited by Borderboss; 01-20-2022 at 02:47 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: