View Single Post

Old 01-20-2022, 11:01 AM

Liked 2,533 Times in 859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lively View Post
Have you ever seen an independent ammo review that measured pressure? I haven't. The equipment to measure pressure is too expensive for anyone except ammo manufacturers. And I wouldn't be surprised if it was too expensive for most of the boutique companies like Buffalo Bore.

After decades of seeing ammo makers greatly exaggerate their velocity claims until affordable chronographs made it hard to get away with I am not going to take their word for it when they claim they can get more velocity than everybody else without going over the SAAMI limits.

I once read an article about the Super Vel ammo from the 70s. This was ammo from the company that went bankrupt in the 70s, not the one making ammo recently under the same name. The author talked Black Hills into pressure testing it and it was about 10% over SAAMI limits. Ammo makers seem to have a "thou shall not speak ill of other ammo makers" rule when it comes to other companies that are still in business. I doubt they would agree to pressure test ammo from Buffalo Bore or Underwood.

I suspect a lot of the "full power" loads from small companies known for hot ammo are going over the SAAMI limits. Not by enough to blow a gun up but enough to cause malfunctions and accelerated wear in some guns. Basically +P loads for cartridges that do not have a +P spec. Nothing wrong with having ammo like that as a choice but it should be labeled as such. Which is kind of what Buffalo Bore does with their "Heavy" loads.
The statement below is from Buffalo Bore's website. Unless you have information that refutes it, I'll take their word for it.

Quote:
DOES BBA MAKE AMMO TO SAAMI SPECIFICATIONS?
Some of our loads do not have SAAMI standards. Loads such as 45 Colt+P, 9MM+P+, 45-70+P, 45 Super, 460 Rowland and there are many, many more, even though loading manuals produced by all the big bullet and powder manufacturers include data for creating such loads. If SAAMI does not even recognize such loads exist, then it would be impossible to make factory ammo that is SAAMI compliant for those loads.

However, our loads like 9MM, 9MM+P, 45 acp, 45 acp+P, 40 S&W, 380 auto, etc., etc., etc. are all SAAMI compliant.

In the last 25 years, there have been huge leaps forward in propellant development. We can get higher velocities at lower pressures than ever before, but if folks are stuck on using the older powders they learned on, they are missing this boat. Unfortunately, many of these cutting-edge powders are not available in canister form for the shooting public, yet.