View Single Post

Old 01-20-2022, 02:25 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,655 Times in 376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypointmarine View Post
It's been a long time since we pulled in to the PI on the USS Midway . Back then it wasn't hard to find stuff to do , but it was hard to keep from getting in trouble , trouble with a capitol T . I know it was before your time , but this was an R&R spot for the VietNam war . You can imagine , anything and everything was available . I'm sure it's not like that anymore , probably toned down . It's a beautiful country and the people were very nice . The food is some of the best in the Far East . My memory is off , there was a VFW or American Legion right on main St. in town outside Subic Bay Naval base , but I don't know where it would be now . I'm sure other Navy and Marine vets can add more , though I'm sure they won't tell the whole truth about some of their adventures , I know I won't .
Spent two wonderful weeks in Olongapo City, summer of '68, well actually Cubi Point at Subic Bay. I heard that Paulines burned down sometime in the 70's. We were not allowed to leave the main street while visiting the city. Farthest I ventured was up to the hospital. Went to some island and had a great time. The Enterprise was in port but the crew was restricted to the ship. Seems they had too much fun the last time they were in port. Went onboard the USS Roosevelt. The flight deck was crazy and it was in port. I can imagine what it was like out in the ocean launching planes. No thank you. The highlight of the tdy was seeing a U2 take off and land.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: