View Single Post

Old 03-31-2022, 07:47 PM

Liked 2,853 Times in 1,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrwalsh View Post
I just picked up a kit to re-prime primers. I am not really that hard up for primers just yet but I thought I would check it out some day if I get bored. I did find that disassembling primers is a little bit of fun if you don't want to lose the anvil. I started doing it in a pink plastic barf basin, that works pretty good.

Theoretically it is simple. They give you the chemicals and a small double-ended plastic scoop. You dry-mix the chemicals thoroughly, add solvent (acetone or alcohol), scoop a bit into the primer, tamp it down with something like a small wooden dowel, reassemble the anvil to the primer and let dry approx 24 hours.

I hope to actually try it next week and see if it works. I will report here and let you know.
I did it and have the kit(s) to do a few thousand if it ever comes to it. They work fine. Work in very small amounts and wear eye protection.

One thing I found was that once-seated primers don't always seat tightly in a different case. I used a dab of super glue on a few just to be sure.

Also - and this is important - they're corrosive.
Be sure to clean your test gun well.

Have fun with it.