View Single Post

Old 04-03-2022, 12:28 AM

Liked 768 Times in 213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laketime View Post
@ Model 15 forever .... Doesn't seem like shoulder rigs were an option for the agents. Any reason they wouldn't be.
The issue holster for the vast majority of the 1076 issue was the DeSantis Speed Scabbard. A strong-side three-slot OWB pancake-type holster with an open top. The Bureau has forever gone back and forth between retention and non-retention holsters. The 1076 was issued during the non-retention fad.

Some number of early guns were issued with the then-new Safariland 5181 open top high-ride paddle holsters made of brown "Safarilaminate" - phony leather with a suede lining. These were referred to as the "Buck Rogers" holsters as they appeared futuristic with a lot of holster cut away in the front. They were popular with range guys, but they rode too high for average Agents in business attire - not enough support for a heavy pistol.

Shoulder holsters were never an issue item - unsafe on a mass firing line, a defensive tactics nightmare, not well-received in the office when someone takes their jacket off and you are looking down the muzzle of their loaded pistol in a horizontal rig. They are also not very concealable under business attire (either style), and are fatiguing with a heavy pistol worn for 8-12 hours a day.

However, agents purchased all manner of "alternative holsters", and the field office PFI had the authority to approve or disapprove it. Anything that was not carried on the strongside muzzle down, I made the Agents do some drills with. This was frankly a PITA because I had to clear the range, and make time for them separately, to do so safely. The only holster I ever banned was the Serpa, and FBI FTU at Quantico did the same Bureau-wide a few years later.

Shoulder holsters were very popular with Agents during mobile surveillance details, in which you were sitting in a vehicle for hours, often in very bad neighborhoods. Drawing from a shoulder rig was faster in those circumstances, especially if seatbelted in. It was far less conspicuous to have your hand inside your jacket, gripping the holstered pistol, when random bad actors were milling about.

I used a DeSantis horizontal rig when doing surveillance work for that very reason, for the short time I was using the 1076. The shorter slide of the 1076 was better for that application than the 5" barrel of 645.

Last edited by Model 15-4ever; 04-03-2022 at 12:36 AM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: