View Single Post

Old 04-03-2022, 01:41 PM

Liked 2,411 Times in 860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
I love how when power is brought up, people always reference Buffalo Bore. [emoji1787] Legitimately wonder how many actually carry/train with it… at almost $40 for 20 rounds.

I got that beat… checking MidwayUSA, Hornady XTP 147 grain is $32 for 25 rounds. Prior to COVID, it was $17.50 per box. Cheapest I purchased that same load for was $11.25 per box (2015-2016 time period).

But the best deal… extra Winchester Ranger 147 grain for free (two boxes for 6 months of carry, so end up with about a box each year). In about a year… it will be Speer G2 147 grain.

Not really…

Take a 9mm and .38 Special and stand them up side by side. Notice that the loaded 9mm is about the same length as a .38 Special case. So, tell me how .38 Special in moon clips is the same in regards to extraction as 9mm in moon clips…

A .38 ejector rod is sized to adequately remove .38/.357 cases. Whether it does that, especially in snub revolvers… you could argue back/forth with people all day. But when the OAL of the cartridge is shorter, you will get a more positive ejection than longer cartridges. Even loaded, the 9mm’s bullets clear the chambers easily. Same could be said shooting .45 Colt in a .460 revolver.

So, you’ve never had an empty .38 or .357 case get hung up on the grips? Getting under the extractor isn’t as common, but it does happen (moon clips do prevent the latter, but now you have even more of an awkward mass that you are trying to clear the cylinder/frame/grips). If I’m reloading at the range, both instances suck… but can be cleared with a little patience. If it is a two way range, I prefer it not to come up.

Again, you are incorrect…

An unloaded P365 weights just over what my 642 loaded (17 verses 16.5 ounces). If I remember correctly, I think loaded weight is like 23 ounces.

Glock 43X… unloaded is just under 18 ounces. Loaded… just a little over 23 ounces.

Here is a picture of the three stock guns in an overlay. Screenshot from Visually Compare Pistol And Revolver Dimensions, Weight, Capacity, And More | Handgun Hero

Personally, size is very subjective, as I feel the J-frame is smaller. Notice that while the barrel slightly pops out past the P365’s muzzle… how much slide extends past the rear of the 642.

And that just talks about the guns… not even reloads. Magazines weigh more than moon clips and my Del Fatti carriers.

I’ve stated already that I’ve been carrying that 642 since before either of those guns were released. Think the original Glock 43 was coming out around the time I did that conversion… and to be fair, I wasn’t a huge Glock guy back then. Only reason I shoot them now is because my agency issued me one… but carrying it off duty, it only happens when I fly (required to carry duty gun when flying armed… if I could carry my J-frame instead, I would).

But where it kind of annoys me with your post is the whole “trade it in for X.” How about I do what I want in regards to my firearms purchases? I mean, unless you are paying for the gun and ammo… it really isn’t much of your business. If I’m happy with my J-frame and always carry it… what is that to you? I don’t make my firearm decisions based on what other people feel, because at the end of the day… my money, my time (training), and my life.

You may believe whatever you wish. That is completely your right.

I do agree, most handguns out now are pretty reliable… especially when you look back at history. Even still, I definitely recommend to put it thru it’s paces prior to carrying it… as all companies can have issues.

But that being said, I trust my J-frame to run 100%. It has been doing so since late 2009, and in 9mm since mid-2015. It isn’t anywhere near to being retired… and will continue to be my off duty carry for quite the foreseeable future. If that bothers anyone… sorry, but not sorry.

I will add that I’m not arguing people should carry 9mm revolvers over everything else. I rarely suggest snub revolvers to people because they are training intensive. When I first tested my 642 on a public range, I had a RO tell me he will show me how to shoot it. New target at 15 yards… had him shoot 5 rounds; three hit the target, one miss on paper, last one likely missed paper, looking like the person got hit with a partial pattern of buckshot. I shoot… five rounds in a 2” group. If someone feels a snub is a good gun for them, I’ll ask how much are they planning on shooting it throughout the year. Less than a box… go with something else (I’d say a few boxes spread thru the year… but money/time can be difficult for some). Need to practice, which a big help is dry-fire practice (my LG-405 is on there mainly for that).

All my posts should be taken as why I made the conversion to 9mm and why I still carry it. If someone is interested/has more questions, shoot me a message and I’ll give as much info as requested.
A quick response to be followed by a more thorough response when time permits.

Sorry you’re butt hurt by “you,” it was intended to be generic, as in “one could trade…” or “One ought to” rather than directed at any particular member.

You forgot your 642 reload weight when you compared gun weights. The five round reload is already in the loaded P365 or 43X.

You size comparison overlay doesn’t reveal the significant difference in width between J frames and the P365 or 43X.

Buffalo Bore SWCHP-GC +P is often cited because BB gives performance by barrel length, it out performs any 9mm and is readily available. There are a couple alternatives that don’t quite match BB.

I’ve shot BB’s load in my 638 among other revolvers.

I don’t practice with BB, but then I don’t practice with my +P 9mm HP ammo either, or 357 ammo.