View Single Post

Old 04-19-2022, 09:04 AM

Liked 6,509 Times in 2,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet 028 View Post
I have an extensive background in many progressive reloading machines. Reloading equipment was my business for about 40 years. As some have said here they have good experience with the less expensive presses. Yep sometimes the stars and planets align for some. I've seen good ammo come from all kinds of progressives And I can also say there are some machines that just take too much tinkering to achieve good results. The other side of the coin...there some people that are patient as Job and they get great results. Then there are the people who shouldn't be allowed near any progressive press. I have seen my share of those. One was a good reloader till he got a P-W 800 press. Being an engineer he just couldn't leave that press alone...."improving" it. I have seen a few progressive machines that should have never been invented. Thankfully they are almost all extinct these days. The first thing we want to have is a press that will work great in the hands of reloaders. What we also want to see is reloaders that know their limitations. Some can seem to get anything to work. Wish I was that person...but still feel I do better on getting recalcitrant presses to work correctly with a reasonable amount of time getting 'em to work. BTW I bought Lee APP for some case prep and it does a surprisingly competent job. Sometimes cheap does work! Sometimes expensive...doesn't! Good grief that got longer than I intended
Yes, people are different. I'm not an engineer but I do have an extensive background with mechanical devices (as an operator not a designer) and more patience than any ten people I know. I'm also stubborn and curious. I do have my limitations though. At some point the time commitment becomes onerous.

I came perilously close to my breaking point doing a caliber conversion on an RCBS Green Machine. But I got there. An RCBS engineer told me they quit selling conversion kits shortly after introduction because of all the support calls they generated.

I eventually migrated everything to a pair of Dillon 450s and sold the Green Machine. The 450s have been converted to 550 frames and are still going. But I think I've now worn out the link arms on one of them.
The Following User Likes This Post: