View Single Post

Old 04-21-2022, 02:31 AM

Liked 11,472 Times in 3,033 Posts

A low power variable power scope on an AR-15 is never a bad choice. Since you want an all around target / self defense optic, I would recommend a 1x6 or 1x8 variable power scope, as is commonly used in 3 gun matches.

Most have a simple intuitive and uncluttered combat reticle that works well at distance at maximum magnification, yet can be used up close and fast with both eyes open at 1x, like a red dot sight. Can't do that with a scope that starts with a magnification over 1x. Reticles are usually illuminated and etched, which means you still have a normal black reticle even if battery power goes south. Kind of combines the best of both world between a scope and a red dot sight.

Price wise, these scopes are very popular, and available from dirt cheap to big bucks. Like most optics, avoid the cheap stuff, and the most expensive is not really needed. I mounted a Vortex 1x6 Strike Eagle (about $3-350 street price) on one of mine, and am happy with it.

Another option might be a low / mid power variable with a seperate red dot attached for quick, close shots. I attached a pic of one of my AR's to illustrate. Its a Burris 2x7 with a Burris Fast Fire dot attached. Also a good working system.

Couple other notes. Yes, Leopold is good stuff, American made, and never a bad choice. But most quality optics these days come from overseas. If you stick to brands that are well known and regarded, like Burris, Nikon, Vortex, Zeiss, SIG, ect., and avoid the cheapest models, you are solid. Pay attention to warranty and quality of service. Right now, Leupold and Vortex probably have about the best in the industry.

I would also avoid FFP reticles for all around use. The reticle will appear to change size as power is increased, tending to leave you with a small, hard to see reticle at low power. They are more appropriate for long range, precision shooting.

Larry

Need Your Help with Selecting Optical Scope-dsc_0004-copy-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0004 - Copy.jpg (53.4 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by Fishinfool; 04-23-2022 at 07:54 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: