Thread: Bullsye Powder
View Single Post

Old 04-25-2022, 10:47 AM
US Veteran

Liked 32,530 Times in 5,515 Posts

Bullseye is one of the oldest smokeless propellants on the market, and still one of the most useful. Name just about any handgun caliber and there is probably a decent loading for Bullseye. Right off the top of my head I remember using Bullseye in .38 Special, 9X19, .45ACP, and a few others. IIRC, Bullseye was the standard powder for military .45ACP for many years.

It is also quite economical for practice ammo. With cast bullets and charge weights of ~3 grains (.38 Spl), ~3.5 grains (9X19), ~4.5 grains (.45ACP) we are talking about 2000-plus rounds per pound of powder. So even at $30 per pound we are still talking less than 2 cents per round, under a buck per box of ammo.

Primer prices are still tough to swallow, and I'm starting to feel the pinch because I'm down to my last few thousand from my pre-panic supplies.

I got spoiled years ago when GI surplus powder and primers were just about everywhere. I knew one dealer who bought surplus powders by the barrel, sold it by the pound for about $2, and I carried it home in a paper bag then transferred it to screw-top cans for storage. NRA magazines and Gun List always had pages of ads offering military surplus powders, primers, bullets, brass, everything at chump change prices.
Life of the party until 8:00PM
The Following 3 Users Like Post: