View Single Post

Old 05-07-2022, 09:48 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,274 Times in 4,874 Posts

If you don’t want to spend much, Mossberg pumps have a decent reputation. Mine has been working fine with my 2-1/2” reloads. I have to be honest and say I’ve never used it with 3” magnums.

I thought about buying one of the imported autoloaders but was advised against it. I decided to take that advice. It came from a fellow who runs a sporting clays range. He sees just about every imaginable shotgun from the least expensive on up, and he knows what works reliably and what is “questionable.”

I see that you already have ammunition, but realize the .410 is not really much of a hunting shotgun. If you keep your shots on small game inside 25-yards it is OK, but a 28 or a 20 is a much better hunting shotgun. I’m sure others will disagree with that, but I have had considerable experience with the .410 and that’s my opinion. I use the little Mossberg mainly for pest elimination, not hunting.

The older Remington 870 .410s are generally pretty decent shotguns, but they are VERY pricey nowadays. You can pretty much buy three new Mossbergs for the same money as an older Remington.

Finally, pattern whatever you buy. With a gun this small, you need to know WHERE it shoots and what shot size works well in your barrel. My recent production Mossberg shoots very flat for me. If I were using it for wingshooting, I’d want to try to get it shooting a bit higher.

All this is JMHO. Good luck with whatever you buy.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: