View Single Post

Old 05-15-2022, 11:53 AM

Liked 463 Times in 170 Posts

Yep train with exactly what you carry. Gun and ammo. Using anemic training rounds and expecting yourself to react the same in a defense scenario with more powerful ammo can create you a problem for sure. Recover time back to target and rhythm probably being two of the main ones

Far as real world I don’t train on a controlled range. Nor do I teach defensive handgun on a controlled range. Main reason is you can’t really get yourself all contorted or roll around on the ground or run and gun at a controlled range.

I do it in the open desert. Also I only shoot at the red plastic Folgers coffee cans. They don’t disintegrate so it’s easy to pick up when your done shooting, and they bounce around when you hit them which makes you change your aim and or position for every shot

They are about the size of a human head which is what I train for. Headshots, bad guys can’t wear body armor on their face. They are also a good size for keeping effective torso shot groups if that’s your thing,

Throw a few of those cans out there. And blast away. Crouch down to reload or jog around and reload while moving. Just create your own in motion scenarios. It may seem strange at first but it allows you to work on skills that you cannot come close to honing on a range

I also like to throw in some shoot from the hip instinctive draw and fire shooting. This is important if you get stuck in a “gotta beat em to the draw” scenario. Most train to draw and bring it up to eye level sight picture then fire. When split seconds can be the difference between living and dying the skill of “clear the holster and rip off a round” can be a life saver

If you can get to the point where you pop those red coffee cans every time from any position or in motion you have one heck of a leg up on most any assailant you will ever encounter
The Following 2 Users Like Post: