View Single Post

Old 05-19-2022, 02:02 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,319 Times in 358 Posts
Default J.C. Higgins pistols

So, here's the short history on the two J.C. Higgins pistols and J.C. Higgins accessories shown below.

The semi-auto Model 80 (Sears version of the High Standard Duramatic) was my dads. He told me he traded something for it in the early 1960s. It came into my possession some five years ago. My dad is much more into shooting 22 rifles, so as a kid I never shot this pistol. And he didn't shoot it very much either. I started "borrowing" it from him in the early 2000s and was amazed at how accurate it is! I also have the 4 1/2" barrel for this pistol, but I forgot to add it when taking the picture!

The Model 88 (Sears version of the High Standard Sentinel) I found at a LGS about 5 years ago. I bought it for $125.00 (couldn't let it just sit there for that price, right?) and am amazed at how well it is made. It too is very accurate. Lots of fun to shoot, but since it's an early version, there is no ejector rod return spring, which is kind of a pain.

After buying the revolver, I went back to the same LGS about a year later and they had the pistol cleaning kit, complete. I thought since I had the two pistols, I needed the accompanying cleaning kit to go with them!

Then I started on a quest to find the factory boxes. I am not one to usually look for factory boxes to go with pistols I have the didn't come with their original boxes. But the hunt was on! I actually had been looking a bit for the Model 80 box for many years, and one appeared on eBay just before I inherited the pistol. So I bought that one. The Model 88 box seems to be a lot easier to find, as I have seen many of them for sale over the past 5 years. Found the one I have about a year ago. The Model 88 box came with the original owners manual. The Model 80 original owners manual I found on eBay.

As for the holsters, I found a J.C. Higgins catalog from 1958 that listed all the holsters for their pistols. I purchased the holster for the Model 80 from a LGS and the Model 88 off eBay. Both holsters are marked J.C. Higgins and have the catalog number. Both are probably made by Hunter.

The empty J.C. Higgins 22LR ammo box and shooting tips brochure are from a friend of mine who collects these kind of things and gave them to me. The crow target I purchased off of eBay as well.

I have to say that I miss a place like Sears where one could walk in and buy just about anything one needed at a single location. And the quality of what was sold was usually pretty good.

Last edited by nutsforsmiths; 05-19-2022 at 06:31 PM.
The Following 53 Users Like Post: