View Single Post

Old 05-20-2022, 08:55 AM
US Veteran

Liked 14,382 Times in 5,479 Posts

Yes there is. David Chicoine wrote two books, Gunsmithing Guns of the Old West and Antique Firearms Assembly and Disassembly. The second book would be best for your project of cleaning up the revolver.

The 32 Safety, 1st Model was manufactured from 1888 to 1892, with 91,417 made. This model was followed by two more models resulting in 242,981 total being built. The serial number is high, so likely manufactured around 1890 to 1892. Ship dates are used to date a Smith & Wesson since shipping logs are available for all models of Smith & Wesson. Some manufacturing logs are privately held and may be available for that serial number, but not available to the Smith & Wesson Historical Foundation. I find three 88,000 serial numbers in the database and there are two that shipped in 1899 and one in 1900. The BATF recognizes all 32 Safety, 1st Models as antiques since all frames were completed before 1899.

As I recall, trigger stacking is more of a bad thing. It is mostly defined as a defect, a constant increase in trigger pull weight toward the end of the trigger’s rearward travel. The only other term that might fit - maybe a 2-stage trigger. This type of trigger is defined as the trigger is pulled under steady pressure until the trigger pull weight quickly changes, and pulling beyond that point discharges the firearm.

That revolver would sell for $250 all day in this current market. Smooth metal, no pitting, well kept, plus the premium of easy sale without all the paperwork or FFLs.

Let me add a schematic. It is for a 1st Model or 2nd Model. Just save the photo to your computer.

.32 Safety Hammerless question-32-safety-2nd-model-schematic1-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 Safety 2nd Model Schematic1.jpg (69.2 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by glowe; 05-20-2022 at 09:22 AM. Reason: added photo
The Following 7 Users Like Post: