View Single Post

Old 05-21-2022, 11:30 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,053 Times in 195 Posts
Default Finally scratched my RM itch

Picked up a RM to further build my N-frame collection. It isn't what I really wanted being a 6.5 inch gun as I prefer 3.5 - 4 inch revolvers. It was in my price range however! I figured with the pace of increasing prices the "bird in the hand" option was best. The seller made me a package deal with a nice 38/44, and it beat my budget. So I ended up with two revolvers I wanted.

Maybe I will find a loose barrel to cut down to my preferred length and one day have it all.

From the factory letter received with the revolver it has an incorrect front and rear sight. The front should be a "Sheard gold bead front sight on a ramp base," and the rear should have a "U" notch instead of a square one. Where might I find or start looking for these? I would like to eventually obtain the parts and return it to the configuration it left the factory in 1939.

Obviously the service grips are incorrect. They are in pretty decent condition , and the right panel is serialized 58565. Is there a way to tell what they might have been originally for? I'm going to replace them with period Magnas, and probably have Curt make me a set that looks like the grips I saw on Gary Cooper's RM.

There is also a star after the serial number, and the date 1.45 on the frame. I will contact the Historical Foundation to see what it may have went in for. I need to sign up and join anyway. The seller believed it was a factory refinish?

My pictures are really terrible, but it's been a sorry week. Best I can do this evening. Thanks to all the board members who have let me waste their time and have been so helpful in my deliberations and searching. I appreciate all of your help more than I can truly express. You helped me get in the "club!"

Last edited by burneyr; 05-22-2022 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Thanks Arch Angel for the forum move-
The Following 47 Users Like Post: