View Single Post

Old 05-23-2022, 10:43 AM
US Veteran

Liked 3,823 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike, SC Hunter View Post
Bought the 3.5 in turkey when they first came out. Egonomically it felt and shouldered like a piece of pulpwood. Didn't kill turkeys any better than my 3" Rem 870. Went down the road. No 500/88/835 has the good fit, feel and longivity of a Win mdl 12/Ithaca 37/Remington 870 and never will. And that plastic safety button on top will break off with much use. I guess if that is all you can afford. Have at it.
Fit and feel are subjective... One shotgun is not going to have the same fit and feel to multiple people. This is why my Beretta came with shims so that the drop and cast can be changed to better suit individual shooters.

The plastic safety on top, well, they used metal back in the day and then went to some cost cutting measures. Remington, and others, have done similar things... plastic trigger housings anyone? But this is a moot point when talking about the Maverick 88, as it has the cross bolt safety on the trigger guard.

Why the "if that is all you can afford" derogatory comment? Sounds like the OP wants an 18" to 20" barreled shotgun to sit behind the bedroom door just in case. I don't think he is purchasing this for clay games or hunting and will probably not see any high use. The Maverick will meet his needs.

My bump in the night go to is a 1959 Wingmaster that I cut a 30" full choke barrel down to 18.5" and added a fiber optic bead. Pawn shop rescue for $150 25 years ago. Bet I haven't put more than 100 shells through it.

Last edited by cyphertext; 05-23-2022 at 10:42 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: