View Single Post

Old 05-27-2022, 10:08 PM

Liked 755 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boykinlp View Post
I have recently acquired a Brill-style scabbard. It was determined by the experts that it was made by Charles Kluge of the Kluge Brothers Saddlery between 1906 and 1912. The company was a significant downtown Austin leather enterprise, being in business for 20 plus years in 1906. By 1912, the A.W. Brill Company took over the Kluge Brothers Saddlery, but the brothers remained on as employees.

According to Red Nichols, "Charles Kluge of Kluge Brothers was the innovator who created the style for Captain Hughes in 1906; it was long thought it was N.J. Rabensburg but period news articles put us straight on that. Rabensburg likely was at Kluge Brothers saddlery as a saddle cub at that time.

Kluge made the scabbards, in the familiar basketweave and in that particular carving style, too, from then until 1912 when A.W. Brill bought out the Kluge Brothers saddlery. From then on they were the same scabbards but with the A.W. Brill stamp in the center of the leather cuff. The welt stack of these Kluge scabbards are always quite straight, the cuffs are wide, the tip ends of the cuffs are sewn to the fender in just that way, and there is just one welt inside the welt stack.

It was in 1932 that Rabensburg joined Brill to eventually replace Charles Kluge who would die a decade later. Rabensburg changed the style of the holster and including that carving; added a second and even third welt, contoured the main welt stack, changed the hand sewing of the cuff ends, added a stitch to the open end of the welt stack."

I contacted some of the owners of the known Brill-style scabbards on the forum and thought a new thread should be started to limit confusion. Hopefully, as more scabbards are identified that fit this description, they will be posted here, so we can discuss them. These scabbards are fairly easy to identify when looking at the rear and welt of the scabbard. Here are pictures of my scabbard:
Larry
I have recently acquired a Brill-style scabbard. Good. Congratulations. It is a beautiful design floral pattern.

It was determined by the experts that it was made by Charles Kluge of the Kluge Brothers Saddlery between 1906 and 1912. Larry, would you please name the experts and copy of their findings.

The company was a significant downtown Austin leather enterprise, being in business for 20 plus years in 1906. Yes, this is true.

By 1912, the A.W. Brill Company took over the Kluge Brothers Saddlery, but the brothers remained on as employees. Yes, this is correct.

According to Red Nichols, "Charles Kluge of Kluge Brothers was the innovator who created the style for Captain Hughes in 1906; it was long thought it was N.J. Rabensburg but period news articles put us straight on that. Larry, I not aware of any of this. If Red Nichols has changed his opinion on this matter, then it is a 180 degree reversal of what he has been saying for years to you, me and others on the Smith and Wesson Forum. Published documentation by the Stan Nelson article of 2008 on Captain Hughes in 1906 or thereabouts was with N J Rabensburg and not Charles W. Kluge. I have seen nothing to contrary. You must produce your documentation based on your “period news articles” supporting this matter or rescind your words, which are not only misleading but inflammatory since you ae stepping on my grandfather's toes.

Rabensburg likely was at Kluge Brothers saddlery as a saddle cub at that time. Larry! Untrue. There is newspaper documentation to support that Rabensburg was working in La Grange and not Austin. However, I believe he traveled to Austin on occasions as a representative of La Grange Saddle Shop. I myself have tried to link Charles W. Kluge with the Rabensburg family but with no success. Once again, please produce your documentation and do not base it on supposition.

Kluge made the scabbards, in the familiar basket weave and in that particular carving style, too, from then until 1912 when A.W. Brill bought out the Kluge Brothers saddlery. Charles W. Kluge was the artistic director for Kluge Brothers and most likely for the A. W. Brill Company until his retirement. He was gifted, which is why I am collecting Kluge holsters as well.

From then on they were the same scabbards but with the A.W. Brill stamp in the center of the leather cuff. The welt stack of these Kluge scabbards are always quite straight, the cuffs are wide, the tip ends of the cuffs are sewn to the fender in just that way, and there is just one welt inside the welt stack. I have no disagreement with the construction of a Kluge holster and am unqualified to do so.

It was in 1932 that Rabensburg joined Brill to eventually replace Charles Kluge who would die a decade later. Rabensburg changed the style of the holster and including that carving; added a second and even third welt, contoured the main welt stack, changed the hand sewing of the cuff ends, added a stitch to the open end of the welt stack." Larry, you and Red speak the same on technical matters.

I contacted some of the owners of the known Brill-style scabbards on the forum and thought a new thread should be started to limit confusion. Are the Brill-style scabbards limited to just two, that is Kluge and Rabensburg? I was not contacted and have two Kluges and one Rabensburg. There is another Rabensburg holster of mine at the Fayette Heritage Museum and Archives basket weave pattern under construction. There is a fifth basket weave holster floating around the Rabensburg family and may surface within the near future.

Hopefully, as more scabbards are identified that fit this description, they will be posted here, so we can discuss them. These scabbards are fairly easy to identify when looking at the rear and welt of the scabbard. Here are pictures of my scabbard:

Larry

Last edited by arabensburg; 05-27-2022 at 10:27 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: