View Single Post

Old 06-03-2022, 11:35 AM

Liked 579 Times in 296 Posts

A Dillon 550 can be operated with one piece of brass at a time (other 3 stations empty) while learning the ropes. They are reliable and seldom break. Mine, from 1985, has only been back to AZ once. It was an early model without the grease holes. When it came back the replacement parts had them. It gets used to load maybe an average of 20k rounds of pistol/rifle a year. A couple minor parts breakages over the last 35 years which Dillon has always handled quick and cheap (free). 550 requires a couple minutes of maintenance every thousand rounds to keep it perking smoothly.

The only non-Dillon part I have on my 550 is a primer slide bearing device (plate & ball bearing rig) that a shooter from TX sells on eBay. I highly recommend.

I shoot a fair amount of .38 Spl and some .357 Mag. It is much more affordable to shoot both if they are reloaded rounds.

Study those paper reloading manuals. Pay attention to how to calculate cost per round. Pick powders for .357 at least partly on cost per round, not necessarily on maximum velocity.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: