View Single Post

Old 07-15-2022, 05:43 PM
US Veteran

Liked 8,473 Times in 2,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muss Muggins View Post
I’m working on a trip to Boise in the near future, and to me, Idaho’s statute reads “any citizen of the United States,” which is how most permitless carry state’s statutes read. Please correct me if I’m wrong and point me to a different statute than the one I read . . .
The Attorney General's Web Site has the following language:
Quote:
May I carry a weapon on my person in Idaho?

You may carry a weapon on your person without a concealed weapons license if you are at least 18 years old, a citizen of the United States or a current member of the United States Armed Forces, and you are not disqualified under Idaho law from obtaining a concealed weapons license for a reason other than not having attained 21 years of age. Idaho law imposes additional requirements for persons under the age of 18. See Idaho Code 18-3302E.
AND:
Quote:
Does Idaho recognize concealed weapons licenses from other states?

Yes. However, while in Idaho, you must carry the license on your person at all times when carrying a concealed weapon. See Idaho Code 18-3302(5)(g).
The statute has the following language:
Quote:
18-3302. CONCEALED WEAPONS. (1) The legislature hereby finds that the people of Idaho have reserved for themselves the right to keep and bear arms while granting the legislature the authority to regulate the carrying of weapons concealed. The provisions of this chapter regulating the carrying of weapons must be strictly construed so as to give maximum scope to the rights retained by the people.
Then the State of Idaho website has the following quotation:
Quote:
Idaho statute allows residents 18 years of age, not disqualified from having a permit, to carry a concealed firearm statewide without a permit except in certain designated places including a courthouse, juvenile detention or jail facility, or public or private school unless specifically authorized.
The way it was explained to me by the CCW attorney was that Idaho residents have Constitutional Carry, but if you are from another State you must have a CCW that Idaho recognizes. The language from the AG website seems to indicate that ANYONE can CC here, but I think that is just a poorly framed statement, and looks to be taken from the perspective of an Idaho citizen asking the question. The second quote I pulled from the AG website states that you must carry your recognized CCW from another state while carrying concealed. If it was constitutional carry for any US Citizen, this would have been answered differently.

The actual statute and the State of Idaho web sites indicate Constitutional Carry is for residents only. However, I was Law Enforcement, not an attorney, so I can just pass along what I have been told.

FWIW - Additionally, the Concealed Carry Law smartphone application states that Idaho is constitutional carry state for residents only.

Last edited by DR505; 07-15-2022 at 05:49 PM.