View Single Post

Old 08-06-2022, 10:56 AM

Liked 302 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams View Post
I called an old friend who is a retired ATF agent for some facts for this post. The ATF Model 66 serial numbers started at T001 and went up to four digits. The second contract serial numbers had a TD prefix. There were perhaps 100 4” ATF 66s. Why 4”? They were for agents in the South East. Well, why did agents in the South East get 4” guns? They were chasing “moonshiners” through the woods and thought they would shoot at longer range then other agents.
None of the ATF guns were ever sold by ATF or offered to other agencies. All were destroyed by ATF and none of the side plates were allowed to be removed. The badge on the side plate was very simple.
Perhaps half a dozen ATF MODEL 66s were lost or stolen over the years. The model 60 in my attached photo was a retirement gift to the agent who advised me on this post. The badge on the side plate is the same as the rendition on the 66s.
If Rick438 has T001 it is indeed the only legally acquired ATF 66. I understand that acquiring it caused the Technical Director to be fired by ATF.
My friend carried his 66 upside in a shoulder holster . It was very Miami Vice cool. The gun had the stainless rear sight.
That looks like a polished model 60.