View Single Post

Old 08-09-2022, 02:10 AM

Liked 16,843 Times in 3,860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogen View Post
Like many of you on this thread, I love old movies. TCM is a must have on my screen. If the flick is black and white, so much the better.

When it comes to "casts of thousands" and "epics" as Beemerguy53 asks, I get a bit lukewarm. Most certainly they are spectacular. The biblical epics for sure grab my attention. But in general epics are overly grandiose for my interests.

The intimacy of a good black and white Film Noir pulls me right in and the world around me fades away. That hasn't happened with an epic. Might be because their large scale makes me feel more like a spectator instead of being inside the film.

If somebody can point me to an intimate, black and white epic, please do. I'll watch it at my first opportunity.
Well, it's not an epic, but one of the best black-and-white films I've seen is Paris Blues, with Paul Newman, Sidney Poitier, Joanne Woodward, Diahann Carroll, and Louis Armstrong.

Two American ex-pats, jazz musicians living in Paris, meet two American girls on vacation there, with the complications you'd expect. The score is by Duke Ellington, the acting is superb, and it's a great story.

The first time I saw Paris Blues, I was hooked watching the opening...

Last edited by Beemerguy53; 08-09-2022 at 02:12 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: