View Single Post

Old 08-13-2022, 03:08 AM

Liked 7,788 Times in 2,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Lee View Post
My friend Drexel Doran of Kerrville tells me that there were no black holsters made in the A.W. Brill shop. This is a pretty well made unbranded copy of the Brill style of indeterminant age for a Colt SAA.
It is a very good rendition of what we call a 'brillalike'. Copies then abounded because it was 'standard issue' for the Texas Rangers and accordingly, for other Texas agencies. I've counted 24 or so Texas saddleries that made them with their mark, and an equal number w/out a mark (but all w/ different construction details). A true brillalike would have a half lining on the fender that extends into the holster pocket, but even Sam Myres' version had no lining.

How does he know that no scabbards were made with the Brill mark in black? He appears to be wrong; this is January 1930 and Kluge was August Brill's scabbard maker beginning 1912 (made without a mark from 1905) and until he worked alongside Rabensburg from 1932 until his retirement 1940.

1930 01 04.jpg

This Brill was Ranger Trimble's and is black:

1918-1924 ranger trimble (2).jpg

And this one can't have been dyed after it was made because its cuff sewing is still white:

da (4).jpg

Ok maybe not the perfect image because that's only the lining but I do have others, black with white sewing. Can't add here without another post.

Convince me :-). No one left alive, I reckon, to have 'been there' because Rabensburg died 1961, Arno Brill 1964 and Arno had left the biz for Brillville after WWII, 1947 I think?

Last edited by rednichols; 08-13-2022 at 03:14 AM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: