View Single Post

Old 09-02-2022, 05:20 PM

Liked 209 Times in 52 Posts
Default Experience with kel-tec

During the pandemic I shifted to the much more affordable 22lr cartridge to offset for ammo shortages and expense. I began collecting different varieties of pistols. When I saw the keltec p17 in all it’s hideous and cheap glory I wanted one. It took some time and I found a used p17 that was a little pricier than I originally wanted. But with the scarcity of the firearm I jumped on it being the only one I have every been able to lay hands on. Well the first outing showed the probable cause of the original owner deciding to part with the firearm.

The slide is not powerful enough to strip a round from a full magazine and fully go into battery. Granted I really didn’t care too much because for a pistol that is supposed to retail for $170 I didn’t expect Wilson combat quality. So with some tinkering I made some lower power magazine springs that remedied the issue but under normal firing conditions it was not powerful enough to lock the slide open. I figured eventually I would make a stiffer spring for the slide since I believe that is the cause.

So finally last night I figured I would give it a shot and reach out to keltec. I was up front about not expecting any warranty work being I wasn’t the original owner. Instead I was reaching out so they could point me in the direction for a possible spring replacement to purchase. Well this morning I received a response essentially saying they couldn’t diagnose the issue without the pistol, but if I give them my making address they would be more than happy to ship me a spring free of charge to check if that would fix it.

This is my only keltec and granted it is only a spring. But for them to respond in such a timely manner and try to remedy an issue so quickly and easily I’m very impressed. Hopefully this gets the pistol going. Granted it is hideous and cheap. It’s a very fun 22 to take out and plink with.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: