View Single Post

Old 10-04-2022, 01:02 PM
US Veteran

Liked 606 Times in 340 Posts
Default S&W 41 to 32 Cal

I can not say for sure it was Mr. Behlert or a friend I talked with about the attempted conversion of a S&W 41 to handle a 32 cal cartridge, but I noted in the discussion I was interested in buying it for my collection. As I understand the situation, the efforts were not satisfactory and the project stopped, possibly due to health problems. I later contacted the widow of whomever and no additional information was unearthed, and the conversion parts were not obtained. I would guess they are still out there to be discovered.

I am also aware of a project to convert a Model 41 to .17 HMR. I have an unfinished 7 3/8" bbl that was drilled (small Dia.), but no insert or chamber cut made. As I remember, S&W provided 3 bbls for the trial Apparently, that project did not progress to any successful level either. I would guess that a more successful approach would have been try the 17 M2.

It is interesting to learn of the many efforts to build new/improved firearms and calibers, with only a few that made it to market. Thankfully, we are still free to try new and different ideas, but I worry if this freedom will last much longer.