View Single Post

Old 10-06-2022, 10:34 AM

Liked 26,513 Times in 9,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowe View Post
If you are going to load a lot of these blanks, use 70 grains and a 12 ga nitro card in a plastic hull. Slightly larger than the case ID, they will pack down the powder and not move. Just crimp the top of the empty case and no need for filler. Do a little experimentation since some cheap plastic hulls are very thin. Use quality hulls like Remington STS or Winchester AA. If using brass, be careful with choosing wads since the inside diameter is very large and a 12 ga wad will not properly seal. One note on stryrofoam. It will melt when fired and line your bore with plastic, making it harder to clean. It is the same reason that one should not use plastic wads with BP.

I have loaded all brass, paper and plastic hulls with Black Powder for hunting and Sporting Clays. The supplies are different sized for each type of hull. Ballistic Products sells everything you need in the was of over powder cards, wads, overshot cards and roll crimping devises. (In all brass hulls your cards and wads need to be one gauge LARGER than you are loading. So 12-gauge uses 11-gauge cards and wads.)

I have yet to find a good method of crimping all brass hulls. I use an over shot card and seal it in place with gutter seam sealer and allow to cure for 2 weeks. I have tried bee's wax, and Elmer's glue and ended up with a shell pouch of loose shot!

Hunting isn't really a problem. Sporting clays, you lose visibility after the first shot! Also the score keeper has problems seeing what you broke.

Ivan
The Following User Likes This Post: