View Single Post

Old 10-10-2022, 09:48 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,354 Times in 620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylee View Post
Back in the late 90’s, when the 696 first came out, I stopped at the Bass Pro store in Gurney, IL. I approached the gun counter, saw they had one on display, and asked to see it. I was asked if I had a FOID card, answered no, I’m from Wisconsin just here visiting relatives. I was informed that I had to have the FOID card to handle the gun! If I’m an out of state resident why would I get said card…answer…because it’s the law. Been to Illinois many times since, even have an I-Pass for the tolls, but have never entered another sporting goods store in that state. Picked up my 696 about two months later when my lgs had them in stock.
The clerk at Bass Pro was wrong. Being an out of state resident not only do you not need a FOID, you can't get a FOID. FOID only applies to IL residents. All you would have needed to do is show your out of state DL or some other official ID and you could have handled any firearm.
Lesson # 1 when dealing with any gun shop. Clerks know absolutely nothing about the law. They're minimum wage employees and only do what their boss tells them. And their boss is only a few dollars above minimum wage and knows nothing about the law either.