View Single Post

Old 01-17-2023, 05:05 PM

Liked 192 Times in 46 Posts
Default Model 625-6 Mountain Gun

Considering a local buy...a 625-6 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt, but don't want to deal with severely oversized cylinder throats. Did S&W correct the throats to proper size for the dash 6 mountain guns? Or would I be better off with a 5" bbl. M-25-7 or a 4" bbl'd -9? Here's my tale of woe below...back in the late 70's with an early gun.

I had a very early M-25 .45 Colt that had miserable throating...as I remember, the throats ran over 0.457". I tried Rem & W-W factory load, as well as my own Lyman cast bullets of Keith type and the round nose/flat point original with no luck.

I even took it back to Springfield but the service desk guys said the gun was in tolerance: a 0.452" groove dia. with 0.457+" throats...it just wouldn't shot and I was lucky to get 25 yd groups that measured 6-8" from a solid rest.

I sold that one off, with full disclosure to a local Connecticut gunsmith up on Lyman's Blue Trail Range who wanted to re-cylinder it with proper throating. Never did hear of his results however. So now I'm interested again in a Smith 4" bbl'd N frame in the old Peacemaker caliber but am leery of getting burned.

Looking fwd to the discussion...Rod

Last edited by Rodfac; 01-17-2023 at 05:06 PM.