View Single Post

Old 05-16-2023, 01:46 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,139 Times in 3,727 Posts

The factory tells us the strain screw is to be TIGHT-----PERIOD!!--and not messed with. We, collectively, think different----and oft times get ourselves in all kinds of trouble.

Then there's Jerry Miculek, he of fame and fortune, who's perhaps best known for some VERY fast (and accurate) shooting with S&W handguns. He is also known for his spring kits----from his company (BANG, INC.). I don't know the first thing about any other spring kits, but I can tell you his is the neatest thing since sliced bread---primarily because you can set the double action trigger pull to whatever floats your boat----just so long as you don't go below 7 lbs---below which he tells us your gun may not go bang. He also tells us to use Federal ammunition/primers at that level.

Setting the trigger pull to suit you involves loosening the strain screw to the point you achieve your goal, then measuring the amount the screw head protrudes from the grip frame, and then removing that amount from the other end.

The amount was .090" in my case, which I dutifully removed---and then tightened the screw----TIGHT---and leaving it alone from then on. It worked like a charm for me---gave me 7 lbs.-----and even works with WW ammo---because I didn't have any Federal.

Try it----you'll like it!

Ralph Tremaine

As an aside, the $20 dollars or so you'll spend for his spring kit AND the instructions will be the best $20 you've ever spent; and provide greater benefit than all the fiddling you've ever done------or ever will do.

Last edited by rct269; 05-16-2023 at 05:38 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: