Thread: Combat Magnums?
View Single Post

Old 06-02-2023, 04:31 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,978 Times in 3,669 Posts

Fond memories----and not so fond----------

My first Combat Magnum was bought new in the mid 1950's---a regular, everyday version. It was also my introduction to Model numbers. The end of the box said COMBAT MAGNUM----and then, in smaller type underneath, it said Model 19. I recall wondering what that was all about. That got traded off for something or other along the way, and along came the stainless guns; and I had to have one of those---the snub nose.

Next came qualifying for my carry permit (issued by the various counties' Sheriff's offices back then). I'm down at the Sherrif's office, flab-gabbing with the Sheriff, waiting for a Deputy to take me to their range. He arrives.

The Sheriff asks him what's going on---he says he's going to take me to the range to shoot for my permit. The Sheriff stifles a laugh, and asks "Haven't you ever seen Ralph shoot?" The Deputy says, "No."; and the Sheriff just waves him on---with no further comment. Then's when things started to go, not really wrong; but sort of complicated. The range has been flooded out, and we can't shoot there. I say we can shoot at my place---and that's fine with the Deputy. Now my place already has target stands set up, and the Deputy parks WELL BEHIND the firing line (for 25 yard targets----the qualifying targets), and says, "This'll be okay.". He goes up and puts 1 target on each of two stands---and returns. As an aside, you have to qualify with each gun you might be carrying, and I have to qualify with a Model 39----and my new Model 66(??)---which I've never fired---never set the sights on---and never anything else. And now I'm going to be shooting at, at least 40+ yards---because he'd said "This'll be okay."---and I'm not inclined to argue with him. Away we go! I shoot the Model 39 first. I don't see ANY holes in the white part of the target---and figure I just might be in BIG TROUBLE!! He goes up to the target, and I'm getting the Model 66 out.

The really GOOD news is he's coming back, shaking his head, and says "You don't have to shoot no more!" (They're all in the black!!)

"God's in his Heaven, and all's right with the world!"

Ralph Tremaine

The next sad tale came along later. The Model 66 was sighted in at FIFTY Yards! Don't ask why, 'cause I don't remember---seemed like a good idea at the time. I'm coming down the driveway, and here's this big fat Groundhog---also known as a target----any time---any where!! I get the Magnum out of the glovebox---and take aim---at maybe 15 feet. The Groundhog doesn't move a muscle---just sits there. I try it again---three times altogether---expecting a different result. The Groundhog doesn't move a muscle! By this time, I've remembered the ridiculous sight setting, and try some "Kentucky windage". The Groundhog takes off at full tilt boogie---not a scratch on him---but at least I tried.

Last edited by rct269; 06-02-2023 at 11:16 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: