View Single Post

Old 07-03-2023, 03:00 PM

Liked 5,703 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockquarry View Post
I wouldn't consider assembling one on my own. Some of these may be excellent guns, some may be junk, but resale value overall is likely the poorest of any ARs.

In conclusion, I found the ARs offered nothing whatsoever over a good bolt-action .223 except the shooter can fire aimed shots a little faster and they have a greater magazine capacity. I'm not going to war and don't fantasize about it. Bolt-actions are more than adequate for me but may not be for others.

My ARs will eventually be sold as I don't shoot them. If I was to consider keeping one, it would be the A4 version with the fixed stock and no scope. It has a far more useful 20" barrel which gives better velocity and handles well, much better than the shorter barrel guns. I think these guns have superior looks without optical sights of any kind, just as they were originally designed.

I'll not criticize AR folks as our tastes are all different, but for a newcomer wanting to try out ARs, spend a bit more and go with a Colt product for reasons already listed.
I have several Colt AR/M4 carbines of various styles...all are perfectly reliable and accurate. I have a Remington 788 in .223 which is incredibly accurate and consistent with white box ammo. It's a 1:12" rate of twist so 55 grain is what it shoots...the others with tighter twists use heavier bullets so it's not a fair comparison. The 788 has a reputation for shooting above its price class and this one certainly does.

Comments about assembled guns are well taken. A proper selection in parts and careful assembly is required. You don't just buy a bunch of parts from various manufacturers and expect them to just go together and shoot well. Different tolerances...different quality control...all affect how the final product will perform.

There are a lot of AR/M4 carbines on the market from any numbers of companies...some out of business. During the panic buying the last decade there were a number of start-ups trying to take advantage of the high prices and were buying excess capacity parts from suppliers that sometimes had sketchy quality control. Once the buying spree ran out some of these companies closed their doors leaving anyone who had a problem gun out in the cold.

Be careful out there when it comes to guns with little known names on them...you might be buying a problem but you also might get a good one.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: