View Single Post

Old 07-12-2023, 02:38 PM

Liked 756 Times in 163 Posts

I've been reloading for 20 years or so now. Nowhere near as advanced as most folks here, but...I have avoided any missing digits or destroyed firearms so far. I should add that I mostly load for smoke and thunder, not Nth degree accuracy, or elephant rounds.

When I look back on my list of bad ideas, every single one of them involved pushing a cartridge beyond what the manuals suggest. Not all in a dramatic fashion, but some of them would manage to lock up a cylinder, or I'd make a hot load for a Ruger Blackhawk or an N frame, then sell or trade the gun off.

One of my stupidest was when I just HAD to get a 180 grain .357 to 2K FPS out of a carbine. I was....stupidly fixated on that 2K number. My guns survived it, and I achieved my mission, but....WHY?! Nowadays, I'm happy with the lower velocities I achieve. I shoot all I want without the flinch inducing consideration of blowing up my gun or hurting myself.

Another consideration for me is that one day, I'm gunna pass this celestial plane. When I do, I don't want my friends or loved ones to get hurt by putting the wrong handloaded cartridge into the wrong gun.

There have been folks up here killed in bear attacks when their +P+×5=Whaleygator handloads locked up their revolver. Anymore, I'm a believer in well tested middle of the road to slightly spicy handloads. Anytime my .38 seems too small, I have a .357. If it gets small, I have a .45 Colt...if that should ever get small, there is a whole world of massive options...

I DO think more modern guns can be pushed farther, but I just have not experienced the personal set of circumstances to make it seem like a good idea for these days.

Maybe someone else has circumstances....which I completely respect, but for me
..I need these hands for work, a destroyed firearm would crush me, and even when loading dangerous game ammo, I prefer consistency to a wild powerhouse. Not that anyone in this thread has mentioned any pure madness, but...man...do you hear about it...

My personal .38s will remain within the books for standard and +P. My favorite do it all load is still the classic Skeeter Skelton load of 158 grain LSWC over a fairly stiff charge of Unique.

If bigger, badder, stouter .38 Special is your white whale, I sincerely and respectfully wish you well. We wouldn't be where we are without folks who pushed the envelope. I'm just elucidating the reasons I am not such a brave soul