View Single Post

Old 07-12-2023, 10:27 PM

Liked 1,371 Times in 655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysnacker View Post
Only reason to shoot carry ammo is to confirm they function in your gun, and if you're concerned that the ammo you have had is now 'so old it may not function'... which my guess would be, a time period greater than a couple decades.
I don't shoot my carry ammo once or twice a year because I am worried about it being too old to function. I do it to check the gun for problems with carry ammo.

My carry gun is a P365. When you push the limits on how small and light a 9mm can be it doesn't take much to make them unreliable. Recoil springs need to be changed more often, they wear more, magazines need stronger springs that may fatigue , etc. I want to check the gun/carry ammo combination on a regular basis.

My P365 had to go back to the factory because it started leaving empty casings in the chamber. This started after a few hundred rounds. The P365 has been reliable for the two years since then but while I trust it enough to carry it I don't trust it as much as I do my larger M&P Compact.

The Kahr PM9 I once had was much worse than the P365 about developing failures. The manual said it might have malfunctions during the first couple of hundred rounds but mine was 100% reliable for the first several hundred rounds. Then it started dropping mags, particularly with higher power ammo. Kahr sent me a metal mag catch to replace the plastic one and it quit dropping mags but a few hundred rounds later started getting stovepipes. Replacing the recoil spring seemed to fix that but I sold the gun before it found a new way to fail.

If I carried my M&P Compact, a Glock 19 or similar size gun I wouldn't check so often. But I end up always leaving guns that large at home.

I bought a half case of Gold Dot +P pre-Covid and am going to keep using it until I run out which may take several years. But I may buy some standard pressure carry ammo for the P365 and use the +P in my M&P Compact.

Last edited by Dave Lively; 07-12-2023 at 10:39 PM.