View Single Post

Old 08-08-2023, 12:02 AM

Liked 113 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy15mtdew View Post
if anyone has any info about this gun please let me know
I knew the gunsmith that hand made these for the Jovino store.

Cursory glance from this distance, to me, this looks like a pretty legit 629 Effector. Some clear closeups of the following details would help:
  • A clear closeup of the EFFECTOR marking on the left side of the barrel.
  • The muzzle end, where the front sight meets the top of the barrel.
  • Assuming these are the original one-piece Pachmayr's, the area behind the trigger guard (underneath) where the left and right of the rubber meets with a focus on the seam.
  • With the grips off: the round butt portion of the grip under the Pachmayr's (where the hammer mainspring notches into the grip).
  • The hammer spur, from a top down view.

However, even with all the above verified, the only thing that will really prove true provenance is getting your particular serial number researched and lettered. To the best of my knowledge, the store did very, very few conversions on used or customer supplied guns. The vast majority of Effectors were new in box guns sent to them by Smith & Wesson as they were an authorized dealer. The paper trail for your gun would start with the Jovino store as they would have booked that gun into their bound book as new before converting; there is no faking that.

And yes, if you haven't already, take a look at the Jovino Research Thread posting mentioned earlier.

Looking forward to seeing some closeups!
The Following 2 Users Like Post: